10 Famous People Who Flourished After Being Laid Off
Being fired is by far one of the worst experiences a person can go through, but one thing’s for certain – you’re not alone. Some of the most talented people in Hollywood, politics and sports have been laid off at some point in their careers, but their resilience and strong work ethic helped them move past the loss and keep their eye on the prize. Here are 10 famous people who flourished after being laid off:
1. Walt DisneyIt’s hard to believe that the man who created Mickey Mouse and co-founded one of the biggest motion picture production companies ever faced rejection, but in 1919, Walt Disney was fired from his job at the Kansas City Star because he supposedly lacked imaginative ideas. Disney later set his sights on creating a cartoon series that spurred the mega media conglomerate known as The Walt Disney Company.
2. Mark CubanMark Cuban wasn’t always a successful Internet mogul and NBA owner. In the ’80s, Cuban worked as a salesman at a computer store, but found himself more interested in working on computers and developing business plans rather than manning a cash register and sweeping the floors. Cuban was laid off, and this was the last time he worked for someone else ever again.
6. Anna WintourAnna Wintour is best known as the successful and cut-throat editor-in-chief of American Vogue. Despite her success, this hard-nosed leader has been laid off before. When Wintour was starting her career as a junior fashion editor at Harper’s Bazaar, her work was heavily criticized by editor Tony Mazzola, and she was fired nine months later. Shortly after working at Harper’s, Wintour went on to work at a couple different magazines before landing her spot at Vogue.
8. J.K. RowlingBefore J.K. Rowling was writing about wizards and warlocks, the best-selling author was working as a secretary for the London office of Amnesty International. When Rowling’s dreams of becoming a writer got in the way of her secretarial work, she got laid off. Rowling used her severance check to support her as she began to write the book series that would change her life forever.
10. Robert RedfordAward-winning actor and director Robert Redford didn’t always shine on the job. When Redford was a teenager he worked as an unskilled worker at Standard Oil. After he got caught falling asleep on the job and making several mistakes, Redford got fired. This incident led the young man to pursue his dreams of going to college and eventually becoming an actor. This story was first posted in OnlineDegreesHub.com.
This is an article contributed to Young Upstarts and published or republished here with permission. All rights of this work belong to the authors named in the article above.