Moving can be very exciting, exciting, at the same time, one of the most challenging moments in a person’s life. And one of the biggest challenges in organizing it is finding reputable movers to do the hard work. Unfortunately, fraud and unethical business practices are far from uncommon in this field.
Therefore, knowing to look for great moving services in Houston will help you better prepare for your move and minimize the stress and hassle.
How to Choose a Moving Company
Determine your needs. Before you begin your search for a moving company, determine your needs. What services do you need? How much furniture and belongings are you going to move? How far away are you going to move? The answers to these questions will help you choose the company that best suits your needs.
7 Simple Steps:
- Look for recommendations. Ask your friends, co-workers, and neighbors if they have recommendations for moving companies. If you don’t know anyone who can give you recommendations, you can use the internet to find reviews and ratings of mover companies in your area.
- Check for license and insurance. Make sure the company has a valid license and insurance. This will protect you from potential problems if something goes wrong during the move.
- Prepare a contract. If you find a company that is right for you, prepare a contract. Make sure the contract contains all the details of your move, including dates, times, costs, and payment terms.
- Prepare your belongings for the move. Before the moving company arrives, make sure all of your belongings are packed and ready to move. This will help speed up the moving process and protect your belongings from damage.
- Check the physical address. To make sure the company is legitimate, check to see if it has a physical address. Consider a site visit and equipment inspection. It is better to deal with a local company. That way, you won’t be scammed, as you might be if you were doing business with Internet scammers.
- Reviews. Visit the company’s website and read what its customers are saying. You can also find similar information on Google, as well as on various specialized forums.
- Experience. Choosing a reputable transportation company is all about research, and part of that research includes finding out how long the company has been in the market. Experience makes a huge difference in this case, and a long successful track record is very important in deciding to whom you want to entrust your belongings.
Ask for An Estimate for The Cost of The Move
Get at least 3 estimates from different moving companies and compare prices. Beware of unusually low costs, as they may reflect poor quality service or the moving company may try to charge you extra after the move. A reputable moving company with a good reputation will not give you an estimate over the phone or online, because this can only be done after visiting the property.
Reputable movers will not ask for large advances or cash payments. If they do, however, look for another carrier. Payment should be made after delivery with a bank card to protect against fraudulent activity. If you pay in advance, you have no control over when you see your items again.