More and more companies worldwide are adopting greener and more sustainable business operations. They consider environmentally-friendly activities part of their advocacy and a marketing tactic to gain more like-minded investors and clients and establish a good business reputation. But how can you implement environmentally-friendly practices in your daily operations?
In this article, you’ll learn how to make your business operations greener and more sustainable.
1. Choose Eco-Friendly Packaging Options.
How do you know if the packaging is eco-friendly? Eco-friendly packaging material is easy to recycle because they’re made from recycled materials. Eco-friendly packaging uses manufacturing practices and practices with less natural resources and energy consumption.
The aim of eco-friendly packaging solutions includes the following:
- Recycle packaging easily
- Reduce the amount of unrecyclable product packaging
- Promote the use of reusable or renewable materials
- Eliminate using toxic materials in packaging production
- Lower packaging-related expenses
Packaging material is verified environmentally friendly if it has a certified seal from a reputable organization or agency, such as the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). FSC oversees and certifies sustainably sourced materials, like cards, papers, and boxes. You can find FSC certified eco-friendly packaging options at Packaging World and other trusted packaging companies.
2. Replace Paper-Based to Digital Systems.
Businesses can save paper and more trees with paperless operations. You can adopt digital technologies that eliminate paper and even bulky hardware components. Check out the following digital technologies you can embrace to replace paper-based systems:
- Digital Signature: Electronic signature or digital signature is the digital version of a handwritten signature, possessing the same validity. Implementing e-sign enables you to reduce or eliminate paper documents and use digital files. Your investors, suppliers, clients, and employees use special pens and touchscreen devices to sign digital files. Pre-made e-signatures are also available, allowing users to attach signatures on bulk files easily.
- Internet Faxing: Eliminate your bulky fax machines and bond paper with internet or online faxing. Sending and receiving fax messages are now quicker and easier with online faxing, allowing you to close more deals and process more transactions online.
3. Use Renewable Energy.
There are different renewable energy sources that businesses can use to supplement their electricity needs, such as solar power. Solar energy can power commercial establishments and industrial facilities.
Solar panels are the key component in any commercial or utility-scale solar energy system. Compare solar panel options and understand which products are best for your needs.
- Commercial Solar Installation
Installing solar panels on commercial buildings will allow business owners to benefit from net metering, a solar incentive that allows storing excess solar power on the grid. In addition, building owners can utilize and sell solar power to tenants.
- Industrial Solar Installation
Industrial facilities can use solar energy to generate heat for various industrial applications, such as water desalination, food processing, enhanced oil recovery, mineral processing, and chemical production, among many others.
Solar energy utilization for your commercial establishment or industrial facility is worth the price, the time investment, and the effort, reducing your reliance on coal-powered utility. Taking advantage of solar energy’s lucrative incentives will provide you with a high return on investment (ROI), generating a positive cash flow.
4. Carry Out Green And Sustainable Practices.
There are practical ways to make your daily business operations greener and more sustainable. It all starts with the right discipline and company culture.
Employees and the management can carry out green and sustainable practices, such as the following:
- Implementing company policies that safeguard the environment, such as responsible use of electricity (like turning off the lights or computers when not in use)
- Sorting rubbish before disposal using colour-coded trash bins or containers
- Sourcing raw materials from farmers, suppliers, and vendors implementing sustainable practices
- Availing auto insurance or any type of insurance from green companies or insurance providers supporting environmental activities or groups
- Participating in tree-planting and other environmental projects
- Supporting the community environmental projects and fundraising activities
5. Revamp Office Or Workplace Design.
It’s a good idea to revamp your office or workplace design to make your daily operations more seamless and more sustainable. For instance, you can improve indoor air ventilation by opening doors and windows at specific times of the day. Declutter your office, removing unnecessary cabinets, old computer monitors, and office supplies. You can donate, recycle, or resell them.
Allow more natural light to enter your production site, office space, or building and save more electricity and money. You can attain this goal by replacing window treatments with easy-to-control blinds or curtains, allowing you to adjust light intensity better.
It takes discipline, teamwork, and a strong will to make your daily business operations greener and sustainable. You can achieve this goal by prioritizing environmentally-friendly measures. So, it’s never too late to choose eco-friendly packaging options and use digital tools to replace paper-based ones. Revamping your workplace design, using renewable energy, and carrying out sustainable business practices can also help protect the environment and create a good business impact.