Today, it is increasingly possible to hear about the digitalization of business. Is it a fashionable trend or a necessity that contributes to the efficiency of business processes?
Digitalization means the transformation of real activity into a digital space. This process affects the written document flow, replacing it with the exchange of business information in electronic form, as well as the use of wireless networks that have replaced management through telephone calls.
However, the concept of digitalization is much broader than digitization (converting a physical document into a digital one). It involves using all digital processes to reconstruct the entire business model. The result of high-quality digitalization is an increase in the efficiency of business processes while reducing transaction costs and improving the control of business operations.
The importance of digitalization in the development of modern business
The first to appreciate the benefits of digitalization were representatives of business structures whose activities are related to sales. Online sales and marketing operations have become an integral part of our lives. However, these are not all the possibilities of digitalization. It is able to cover almost all areas of business activity, ensuring their convenience and safety. Introduction of digital support into business:
- will speed up the processes of interaction with business partners, bypassing the need for personal contact to signing agreements (personal signature can be replaced by electronic);
- provide instant information exchange between the company’s divisions, regardless of the distance of their location;
- simplify and accelerate management processes.
Digitalization became particularly relevant in 2019 when the Covid-19 pandemic forced many enterprises worldwide to switch to remote work. It was during this period that many companies appreciated the potential of digital transformation.
The main goal pursued by digitalization is to bring business activity in line with modern requirements, which are rapidly changing. The process involves:
- automation of business processes;
- collecting and structuring information;
- improving data quality;
- expanded opportunities for the use of innovative technologies, including intelligent software.
Digital document management and innovative forms of document management
Let’s consider the advantages of digitalization using the example of document management. Automating the process of working with documents is an effective way to increase the productivity of an enterprise. It provides for the creation, tracking, and management of documents in digital form. Digitization of documents:
- eliminates the need to store piles of papers, occupying the premises with them;
- significantly speeds up the search for the required document;
- prevents unauthorized people from accessing documents;
- ensures efficient document flow.
Intelligent data collection will ensure efficient information processing and documentation. The information can be sent to the enterprise in a paper, facsimile, or electronic form. Due to unique technologies, information is transformed into data available for computer processing. After that, it is automatically classified, verified, and transferred to workflows or stored digitally.
The advantages of digitalization of business processes are undeniable:
- saving time on paperwork;
- improving the efficiency of the enterprise;
- reduced operating costs;
- the possibility of comprehensive analysis and systematization of data;
- secure storage of information through cloud technologies;
- exclusion of the human factor when working with documents.
However, if you want to appreciate the advantages of digitalization completely, it should be considered not as the implementation of individual projects but as a global transformation of the business network. It is not necessary to create your own software and applications for this. It is enough to use a ready-made solution – a specially developed Fluix platform, etc.
How to successfully digitalize a business
Each company approaches the digitalization process in its own way, considering the specifics of its activities and the existing base. However, there are general provisions that should be taken into account by everyone who is going to take the business to a new stage:
- Creating a bottom-up business network.
Many enterprises use separate elements of digitalization, in particular wireless networks. Some of them may demonstrate fully automated warehouses or even the use of robotics. However, these projects are limited to the scope of the enterprise or its specific division. If you want to bring this process to the level of relations between enterprises, it is necessary to create a single business network that unites all the business processes of the company. Only such a network will help to achieve proper data quality and bring the company to a new level of relations with partners and customers.
- Getting high quality data.
If your company is still conducting written business communication, all physical documents must be scanned and digitized using specific applications. However, digitization of official records is only the first stage. Next, proceed to data collection. Completing this task will create a digital business network. The presence of such a network, in turn, will provide the opportunity to collect much more data. The collected information will allow the company’s management to analyze data, generate new ideas, and make the most influential business decisions.
- Implement a holistic approach to digitalization.
Only a holistic approach will fully realize all the benefits of digitalization. They are essential:
- transparency of operations and their effective control;
- the possibility of a comprehensive analysis of the costs and revenues of the enterprise;
- reduction of negative impact on the environment (if it is characteristic of the specifics of the enterprise);
- effective interaction between the structural divisions of the enterprise, as well as with its partners and many others.
Digitalization of business processes is a step towards development or discomfort from the introduction of innovations.
According to surveys, 80% of business leaders understand the importance of digital transformation for successful business development. However, not all of them have a complete idea of how to implement this transformation. Therefore, they prefer to work the old-fashioned way, feeling comfortable in the usual business sphere.
In fact, it is not so difficult to implement a digital transformation project. However, professionals should be involved to get a new ital experience. Ready-made platforms developed by specialists will help set up transparent, scalable processes according to the requirements of a specific field of activity.
The introduction of digitalization into the business process is the best way to change the company’s reality to ensure the success of its development today.