Africa may be home to mostly developing countries, but that doesn’t mean there’s little or no entrepreneurship on the continent. In fact, there are many unsung young African entrepreneurs struggling to make a difference – and Top35-Under35CEO Awards, an annual program that highlights and recognizes young African entrepreneurs, aims to use their examples to encourage and promote more entrepreneurship among young Africans.
The Top35-Under35CEO Awards is looking to recognize a total of 35 young African entrepreneurs across the following categories:
Most Enterprising Students.
This is for students that own and run businesses while attending a high school, college or university. 10 student entrepreneurs will be recognized in this category.
Most Promising Young Entrepreneurs.
This category is for Young Entrepreneurs who has been in business for 2 years onward. 10 young entrepreneurs will also be recognized in this category.
Best New Startup Founders.
This is for new startups that has been in existence for 1-2 years. 10 new startup founders will be recognized in this category.
CEO Of The Year.
This category will recognize 5 superstar entrepreneurs whose company or projects have impacted life the most, over the past year.
Anybody can nominate. You are allowed to nominate yourself or others.
Criteria for the Most Enterprising Students category:
• The applicant must be an undergraduate student at a recognized high school, college or university for the 2012/2013 academic year and enrolled in school at the time of application.
• The applicant must be the owner, founder or controlling shareholder of their company and principally responsible for its operation.
• The applicant must be an African citizen who lives and school in Africa.
• The applicant must have been in business for at least the past 6 months.
Criteria for the Most Promising Young Entrepreneur, Best New Startup Founders, and CEO Of The Year categories:
• The entrepreneur must be 35 years or younger at the time applications are due.
• Open to entrepreneurs aged 35 and below.
• Applicants must be an African citizen who lives in Africa.
Nominations will be accepted online starting from October 17, 2013 to December 2, 2013. The winner will be determined by the Under35CEO judges with a focus on impact, risk-ability, perseverance, unwavering passion, creativity, leadership skills, innovation and ability to come up with new idea(s) to solve Africa’s or the world’s complex problems.
The Top35-Under35CEO list will be announced on December 28, 2013.