by Benjamin Wey, New York Global Group
When I came to the United States from China over 20 years ago, I was determined to live the American Dream. This drove me through the ups-and-downs that life as an entrepreneur brought me. While there is no guidebook to guarantee success as an entrepreneur, I hope these tips below can help you along the way:
- Focus on something you know about and is important to you. You cannot do something unless you believe in it.
- If you love what you do, you’ll be successful.
- Speak up! Ask for advice, network, and look for someone who you respect that can act as a mentor.
- Have a vision and a clear blueprint of how you are going to achieve what you sent out to accomplish.
- Remember, you represent your product. You have to feel like you represent it from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep. Be synonymous with your brand.
- Reinvent yourself, but don’t try to reinvent the wheel.
- Don’t let the lack of knowledge or experience stop you. Build a strong team around you to do what you can’t.
- Simplicity- Focus on one thing to be excellent at. Build on your experience rather than jumping ship.
- Just Do It! Don’t overanalyze, things will happen as you go along.
- Always educate yourself. You are never done learning. Take a course like FastTrac NewVenture to boost your confidence. It’s offered by Bloomberg for entrepreneurs starting a business.
Benjamin Wey is the President of New York Global Group, a private equity investment firm specialized in China related transactions. For more information visit his firm’s website at www.nyggroup.com.